Shockwave Therapy is a non-evasive highly effective treatment used to promote accelerated healing in tissues that are traditionally difficult to rehabilitate. When applied to the right type of injury, using the correct parameters shockwave can be extremely effective tool used in physiotherapy.
Shockwave is a series of acoustic waves specifically applied to the area needing treatment. The high energy sound waves, created by highly compressed air, is transferred to the transmitter at the end of the applicator and further into the tissue. This type of treatment is used to accelerate tissue repair and cellular growth by initiating an inflammatory response. Shockwave can reduce healing times and reduce pain with certain specific conditions.
Who can benefit from Shockwave therapy?
Shockwave is a highly effective treatment for conditions including but not limited to:
- Feet : heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinopathy (Achilles tendinitis)
- Knee : patellar tendonitis (Jumper's knee)
- Hip : bursitis
- Upper / Lower leg : shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome), iliotibial band friction syndrome
- Back pain : lumbar and cervical regions and chronic muscular pain
- Shoulder : calcific tendinosis of rotator cuff muscles, tendonosis, bursitis
- Elbow : tennis and golfers elbow (lateral and medial epicondylitis)
Why is it beneficial?
The shockwave therapy is a non-invasive modality and provides de following benefits:
- Mechanical stimulation
- Increased local blood flow
- Increase in cellular activity
- “Break up” of scar tissue and calcifications directly or indirectly by kickstarting a new remodelling phase of tissue healing
What to expect as side effects?
You may experience some redness of the skin, mild swelling, slight pain or bruising which will subside within 24 hours of the treatment. However, most people experience no side effects.
For more information about our Shockwave treatments or any other physiotherapy treatments, contact us at 506-802-8822 or book an appointment online.